Skip to Content

Hornby Europa (precio EUR)

BR, Period III Corridor Brake Third, M5914M - Era 4

Hornby is proud to present the BR, Period III Corridor Brake Third, M5914M - Era 4. Designed by Sir William Stanier, this is one of his numerous locomotives and coaches servicing the UK railways of this Era. This coach has a crimson and cream livery and measures at 242mm.
0.00

BR, Period III Corridor First, M1047M - Era 4

Hornby is proud to present the BR, Period III Corridor First, M1047M - Era 4. Designed by Sir William Stanier, this is one of his numerous locomotives and coaches servicing the UK railways of this Era. This coach has a crimson and cream livery and measures at 242mm.
0.00

BR, Period III Corridor Third, M2139M - Era 4

Hornby is proud to present the BR, Period III Corridor First, M2139M - Era 4. Designed by Sir William Stanier, this is one of his numerous locomotives and coaches servicing the UK railways of this Era. This coach has a crimson and cream livery and measures at 242mm.
0.00

BR, Princess Royal Class, 4-6-2, 46211 'Queen Maud' - Era 5

6211 Queen Maud entered traffic on 21 October 1935 allocated to Camden shed and fitted with the riveted 9-ton LMS tender, which it retained until the first heavy service at Crewe during July 1936, when a riveted 10-ton tender was attached. Fleetingly allocated to Crewe North at the outbreak of war in 1939, Queen Maud moved to the shed permanently on 22 May 1943 where it remained, apart from a two month stint at Edge Hill in 1956, until withdrawn on 7 October 1961.
0.00

BR Railfreight, Class 60, Co-Co, 60015 'Bow Fell' - Era 8

60015 Bow Fell was the last of the class to be accepted into service by British Rail, entering traffic on 24 March, 1993 being allocated to the Railfreight Construction sub-sector at Immingham. When Transrail was launched on 29 August, 1994 at Arpley Yard, it was 60015 that was selected to unveil the new Transrail livery.
0.00

BR, Rebuilt Class W1, 4-6-4, 60700 - Era 4

Having completed nearly 90,000 miles of test running since new, Sir Nigel Gresley's W1 4-6-4 No. 10000 entered Darlington Works on 21 August 1935 for what was anticipated to be a major overhaul and modification. During this period Gresley decided that it was time to rebuild 10000 as a three cylinder locomotive with a conventional firetube boiler. Subsequently, 10000 was moved to the Doncaster Works on 13 October 1936 and this is where the first drawing for the modification were being prepared. When 10000 was finally released from Doncaster Works in November 1937, it was a significantly different locomotive, being fitted with a diagram 111 boiler that was very similar to the diagram 108 boiler fitted to No. 2006 'Wolf of Badenoch', and with a streamlined casing to the same pattern as the A4 class. As many components as possible from the original W1 were used in the rebuild, including the frames, which were shortened by 1 ½ feet at the front end. Other items, where needed, were sourced from the A4 class, the A3 class or, like the front bogie, from the B17 and an experimental double Kylchap blastpipe and chimney was fitted. The cab, while similar to that of the A4 class, 60700 was considerably longer and this led to the locomotive's tender's coal delivery chute having to be lengthened to compensate for the extra distance from the firebox doors. The original tender was retained, but with superficial modifications, such as to the curvature of the front plates and the addition of streamlined plating to the front and rear, although this was partially removed just a year later in 1938. Up to the outbreak of war in 1939 and during the war years, 10000 worked mainly on Kings Cross main line duties and with its power and smooth riding it was a popular engine with the LNER's drivers, though less so with the firemen due to the distance between the shovelling plate and the firehole door. The locomotive also became more 'fitter' friendly after April 1942 when the skirting was removed from ahead and behind the outside cylinders to improve access in wartime conditions. Post war, at the time of nationalization and now numbered 60700, the corridor tender was swapped for the streamlined non-corridor tender from 60004 William Whitelaw and the locomotive was engaged in more varied duties, working occasional passenger services to Leeds and Cambridge from Kings Cross alongside the occasional 'lodging' turns to Newcastle. Following allocation to Doncaster on 25 October 1953, 60700 became a more frequent visitor to Leeds and also worked turns to Sheffield, as well as hauling Doncaster to Peterborough passenger services and various braked goods trains. In a similar circumstance to 10000 never receiving its proposed name of 'British Enterprise' in November 1929, 60700 never received its intended name of 'Pegasus', for which the nameplates were cast on 13 April 1951.
0.00

BR, Ruston & Hornsby 88DS, 0-4-0, No. 20 - Era 7

Ruston & Hornsby Ltd, of Lincoln, was formed as the result of the merger between Ruston, Proctor & Co. Ltd and Richard Hornsby & Sons Ltd on September 11, 1918 and their first narrow gauge diesel locomotive left the works on September 1, 1931. In the summer of 1932, production was moved to the larger Boultham Works, where the firm were eventually to become Britain's largest builder of diesel locomotives, with over 6,500 being built by the time production ceased in 1969. Almost as soon as the firm's 44/48HP 0-4-0 locomotives were making an appearance, an upgraded, more powerful 0-4-0 was on the drawing board. Although many of the features of the 44/48HP were retained for the new 80/88HP, such as the chain drive and running gear, a new type of transmission was fitted, along with Westinghouse airbrakes. The new power unit, Ruston's own 4VPB, delivered 80BHP at 1000rpm and was later supplanted by Ruston's improved 4VPH that delivered 88BHP, but it required compressed air to be injected into the cylinders to be able to start. While running, an air reservoir was kept charged via the braking system, but after standing idle for a period the reservoir depleted and a secondary source was required to recharge the reservoir. This was achieved by fitting a small, secondary 1½HP 'donkey' engine, giving rise to a distinctive raised cover on the right hand side of the engine compartment that differed in size and placement depending on the make of engine used. Two basic weight options were offered for the 80/88HP, of 17 tons and 20 tons, the difference being achieved by attaching weights to the outside frames, as well as to the front and rear buffer beams. In 1941, Ruston's locomotive classifications were changed, with the 80/88HP becoming 88DS (with the narrow gauge versions being assigned the DSM and DSN suffix, and the broader gauges assigned DSW). Outward appearance changes to the 'standard' locomotives were mainly confined to the cab area, with examples from mid-1947 replacing the open cab with a fully enclosed cab that featured several ad-hoc styles of front window. The final 88DS, 518494, left Boultham Works on 29 November 1967, bringing to an end a production run of 271 locomotives. Ruston 408493 was built new for British Railways Western Region, for use at the Signalling & Telecommunications Department workshops at Reading and was delivered in January 1957. Taking the Departmental number 20, the locomotive spent its entire lifetime at Reading, housed under the Vastern Road bridge when not in use. Renumbered in 1973 under TOPS, to 97020, withdrawal came in April 1981 and it was disposed of at Reading by Cartrights of Tipton in August 1982, being replaced by a Barclay Class 06 No. 06003, which was transferred to Reading from the Scottish Region.
0.00

BR, Ruston & Hornsby 88DS, 0-4-0, No. 84 - Era 6

Ruston & Hornsby Ltd, of Lincoln, was formed as the result of the merger between Ruston, Proctor & Co. Ltd and Richard Hornsby & Sons Ltd on September 11, 1918 and their first narrow gauge diesel locomotive left the works on September 1, 1931. In the summer of 1932, production was moved to the larger Boultham Works, where the firm were eventually to become Britain's largest builder of diesel locomotives, with over 6,500 being built by the time production ceased in 1969. Almost as soon as the firm's 44/48HP 0-4-0 locomotives were making an appearance, an upgraded, more powerful 0-4-0 was on the drawing board. Although many of the features of the 44/48HP were retained for the new 80/88HP, such as the chain drive and running gear, a new type of transmission was fitted, along with Westinghouse airbrakes. The new power unit, Ruston's own 4VPB, delivered 80BHP at 1000rpm and was later supplanted by Ruston's improved 4VPH that delivered 88BHP, but it required compressed air to be injected into the cylinders to be able to start. While running, an air reservoir was kept charged via the braking system, but after standing idle for a period the reservoir depleted and a secondary source was required to recharge the reservoir. This was achieved by fitting a small, secondary 1½HP 'donkey' engine, giving rise to a distinctive raised cover on the right hand side of the engine compartment that differed in size and placement depending on the make of engine used. Two basic weight options were offered for the 80/88HP, of 17 tons and 20 tons, the difference being achieved by attaching weights to the outside frames, as well as to the front and rear buffer beams. In 1941, Ruston's locomotive classifications were changed, with the 80/88HP becoming 88DS (with the narrow gauge versions being assigned the DSM and DSN suffix, and the broader gauges assigned DSW). Outward appearance changes to the 'standard' locomotives were mainly confined to the cab area, with examples from mid-1947 replacing the open cab with a fully enclosed cab that featured several ad-hoc styles of front window. The final 88DS, 518494, left Boultham Works on 29 November 1967, bringing to an end a production run of 271 locomotives. Ruston 432478 was built new for British Railways, being delivered in January 1959 to the North Eastern Region Civil Engineers Department at the Leeman Road Permanent Way Stockyard in York, one of six Ruston & Hornsby 88DS locomotives built for British Railways which were distributed between York, Dinsdale Depot, Etherley Tip, Crofton, Hartlepool and Darlington. As well as working shunting duties at Leeman Road, 432478 also worked at the York Central Concrete Depot, which is now the site of the Railway Museum's main visitor car park.
0.00

BR, Siphon H , W1429 - Era 4/5

The BR, Siphon H , W1429 - Era 4/5 model measures at 213mm and the red painted finish means this wagon will compliment any eras 4 town center or farm scene.
0.00

BR, Standard 2MT, 2-6-0, 78000 - Era 5

78000 entered traffic at Oswestry on 27 December 1952 along with the other nine 2MT locomotives from the first batch, displacing the GWR Dean Goods and Cambrian Railways' 0-6-0s from their local passenger and freight duties. As the new locomotives and their crews became accustomed to their new operating areas, they were dispersed to other sheds and so 78000 found itself allocated to Machynlleth for work between Shrewsbury, Oswestry and the Welsh coast resorts from Aberystwyth to Portmadoc until May 1963. Moved to Nottingham to cover local freight workings, in January 1964 the locomotive was transferred to Derby for use on the Shirland Colliery Branch until June 1965, when 78000 was withdrawn from service.
0.00

BR, Standard 2MT, 2-6-0, 78006 - Era 5

Designed by R. A. Riddles and derived from Ivatt's LMS 2MT 2-6-0 locomotive design, itself a variation of Ivatt's Class 2 2-6-2T, the BR Standard Class 2 was the smallest of the BR standards and featured changes to the LMS design such as smaller cabs so that they could be used across the network where loading gauges were less generous. Darlington works was responsible for building the entire fleet of 65 engines and for a time construction of the LMS and BR designs overlapped. Like the LMS predecessor the BR design had a tender cab to enhance crew protection and visibility when running tender-first. 78006 was one of the first batch of the 2MT standard design built by British Railways. The locomotives in this batch were built for the Western Region at Darlington who had experience building the LMS Ivatt 2-6-0s. The locomotive was initially assigned to the Oswestry depot for work in mid-Wales where the enclosed cab design proved a huge advantage. From 1962 the locomotive was based in Gloucester where it remained until withdrawal in December 1965.
0.00

BR, Standard 2MT, 2-6-0, 78010 - Era 4

78010 entered traffic at West Auckland Shed on 24 December 1953 as one of nine 2MT locomotives allocated there for passenger services to Saltburn, Tebay mineral workings over Stainmore summit and the odd excursion working. In March 1955, 78010 was moved to Northallerton shed, displacing the J21, J25 and G5 locomotives on pick up freight workings locally. In March 1963 the locomotive was sent to Polmadie, but was in a poor condition and was transferred on to Motherwell before being returned to Darlington in June that year. 78010 arrived at Farnley Junction in November 1963, before being moved on to Crewe South in April 1964 from where it was withdrawn from service in September 1966.
0.00

BR, Standard 2MT, 2-6-0, 78047 - Era 5

78047 entered traffic at Hawick Shed on 25 October 1955 where the locomotive spent most of its lifetime working, even deputizing for failed Class 27, 40 and 45 diesels on the Edinburgh-Carlisle route post-1961. In 1966, once local passenger and freight services were discontinued or taken over by diesel traction, 78047 moved over to Bathgate mainly to operate mineral trip freights from local collieries and to haul the occasional enthusiasts' special. Reallocated to St. Margaret's prior to withdrawal, 78047 was eventually scrapped in January 1967.
0.00

BR, Standard 2MT, 2-6-0, 78054 - Era 5

Designed by R. A. Riddles and derived from Ivatt's LMS 2MT 2-6-0 locomotive design, itself a variation of Ivatt's Class 2 2-6-2T, the BR Standard Class 2 was the smallest of the BR standards and featured changes to the LMS design such as smaller cabs so that they could be used across the network where loading gauges were less generous. Darlington works was responsible for building the entire fleet of 65 engines and for a time construction of the LMS and BR designs overlapped. Like the LMS predecessor the BR design had a tender cab to enhance crew protection and visibility when running tender-first. Built as part of a batch of 10 destined for the Scottish Region, No. 78054 was built in 1955 and allocated to the Motherwell depot. The locomotive started out life hauling freight however after a year it was moved to Keith where it ran passenger services. The locomotive was also allocated to Aberdeen Ferryhill and Bathgate sheds before being withdrawn in December 1965.
0.00

BR, Standard 4MT Class, 4-6-0, 75053 - Era 4

When the London Midland Scottish Railway came up with its initial standard designs in 1947, it was considered that there was no call for a mixed traffic Class 4, 4-6-0 locomotive. The duties for which the 4-6-0 design were suited to were amply covered by existing traction types and it wasn't until Nationalization in 1948, that the Western Region of British Rail felt that this type of locomotive was required for use on its secondary route services. The restricted axle loading for the coastal routes to Aberystwyth and Pwllheli precluded the use of the heavier Standard Class 5, whilst an update on the GWR Manor design was not feasible because of gauging issues on the other British Rail regions, who were also looking to replace their ageing locomotive stock. Robert Riddles, British Rail's Head of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering, set about designing a new locomotive, principally from BR's Brighton Works, as a solution to this problem. Many of the components for the Standard Class 4MT were similar to those used in the Standard Class 5 and as a class, there were few significant variations during the course of their construction. Between mid-May 1951 and January 1956, eighty locomotives were built at BR's Swindon Works, in six Lots, a final order of ten locomotives for the Eastern Region being cancelled in September 1956. The first ten locomotives were delivered to the Western Region between May and October 1951 and by the end of the year were all operating from Shrewsbury Shed. Employed on local and semi-fast duties the engines were ideally suited to their task, but attempts to displace Class 5 duties on heavy passenger and goods traffic proved unpopular, as happened on the former LNWR central Wales line to Swansea. The Class 4s suffered from poor steaming under load and were under-powered, their timekeeping suffering as a consequence. Deliveries continued, with the London Midland region receiving three batches of locomotives, the Western a further batch and the Southern receiving a batch. By the beginning of 1956, Class 4MTs were operating across the network, from Dover to Scotland, Plymouth to Cambridge, mostly paired to their original tenders, of which three types were used. The first fifty were paired with BR2 3,500 gallon tenders, whilst fifteen received BR2A 3,500 gallon tenders. The Southern Region, with its lack of water troughs, had a requirement for a greater capacity tender and so the fifteen locomotives allocated here were paired with BR1B 4,725 gallon tenders. Withdrawal of the class began in October 1964, with No.75067 and continued on a regular basis until August 1968, when the last five were withdrawn. Six locomotives were saved for preservation, two purchased direct from BR and four being rescued from Woodham's scrapyard at Barry. Locomotive 75053 was built at Swindon, to Lot 408, in late 1956 and entered traffic with the London Midland Region at Chester Midland. A well-travelled locomotive, 75053 spent alternate spells at Ryhll and Chester Midland before moving on to Mold Junction in September 1960. In April 1962, a move to Bletchley was followed in January 1965 by allocation to Stoke-on-Trent, from where 75053 was withdrawn in September 1966. Maximum curve Hornby 2nd radius + / 438mm+.
0.00

BR, 'Terrier', 0-6-0T, 32640 - Era 4

The London, Brighton and South Coast Railway (LB&SCR) A1 Class 0-6-0T locomotive was designed by William Stroudley. A total of 50 locomotives were built between 1872 and 1880. Initially, the class were designed to haul commuter trains on the heavily congested lines in South and South-East London, as well as operating through the Marc Isambard Brunel designed Thames Tunnel. The LB&SCR later introduced larger and more capable D Class locomotives which began being used for most of the company's commuter trains. Nonetheless, the reliability of the A1 class was such that most were put to other work or sold on to other railways rather than being scrapped. Between 1911 and 1913 twelve of the A1s that had remined at the LB&SCR were rebuilt with new boilers and extended smoke boxes to become the A1X class along with a further four after the first world war. By 1923, at the formation of Southern Railway, 15 locomotives had remained in LB&SCR ownership, and these along with another 9 locomotives which had been sold to other railways in the region fell into Southern Railway ownership. Weight restrictions on many of the light railways inherited by the Southern Railway necessitated that the light A1 class locomotives remain in service despite their old age. One A1 locomotive and 14 A1X locomotives remained in service long enough to enter into British Railway stock. Most of these remained in the Southern Region, although one remained in the Western Region having previously found its way into GWR ownership after been sold to the Weston Clevedon & Portishead Railway which closed in 1940. The Class remined in service until many of the lines they operated on were eventually closed. The last of these was the line to Hayling Island which was scheduled for closure in November 1963. With the impending closure of the line, BR decided to withdraw the class from service. At the time of her withdrawal, No. 32636 was the oldest working steam engine in British Railways ownership. The final operational A1X with BR was No. 32678, which remained in service until August 1963. The engines were famously known as 'Terriers' due to the distinctive 'bark' of their exhaust beat. Starting life as LBSCR No. 40, the locomotive was built in March 1878 and served with the LBSCR until being sold to the Isle of Wight Railway in January 1902 where it was upgraded to A1X specification in August 1918. With grouping in 1923 the locomotives fell into southern ownership before transferring to BR ownership upon nationalisation. The locomotive served with BR until September 1963 when it was sold to Butlin's for static display.
0.00

BR, 'Terrier', 0-6-0T, 32646 - Era 4

The London, Brighton and South Coast Railway (LB&SCR) A1 Class 0-6-0T locomotive was designed by William Stroudley. A total of 50 locomotives were built between 1872 and 1880. Initially, the class were designed to haul commuter trains on the heavily congested lines in South and South-East London, as well as operating through the Marc Isambard Brunel designed Thames Tunnel. The LB&SCR later introduced larger and more capable D Class locomotives which began being used for most of the company's commuter trains. Nonetheless, the reliability of the A1 class was such that most were put to other work or sold on to other railways rather than being scrapped. Between 1911 and 1913 twelve of the A1s that had remined at the LB&SCR were rebuilt with new boilers and extended smoke boxes to become the A1X class along with a further four after the first world war. By 1923, at the formation of Southern Railway, 15 locomotives had remained in LB&SCR ownership, and these along with another 9 locomotives which had been sold to other railways in the region fell into Southern Railway ownership. Weight restrictions on many of the light railways inherited by the Southern Railway necessitated that the light A1 class locomotives remain in service despite their old age. One A1 locomotive and 14 A1X locomotives remained in service long enough to enter into British Railway stock. Most of these remained in the Southern Region, although one remained in the Western Region having previously found its way into GWR ownership after been sold to the Weston Clevedon & Portishead Railway which closed in 1940. The Class remined in service until many of the lines they operated on were eventually closed. The last of these was the line to Hayling Island which was scheduled for closure in November 1963. With the impending closure of the line, BR decided to withdraw the class from service. At the time of her withdrawal, No. 32636 was the oldest working steam engine in British Railways ownership. The final operational A1X with BR was No. 32678, which remained in service until August 1963. The engines were famously known as 'Terriers' due to the distinctive 'bark' of their exhaust beat. LBSCR No. 46 'Newington' entered service in January 1877. In March 1903, the locomotive was sold to the London and South Western Railway where it served until March 1914, then moving on to the Freshwater, Yarmouth and Newport Railway. Upon grouping the locomotive was inherited by the Southern Railway, later receiving the name 'Freshwater', and was rebuilt to A1X specification in March 1932. Under BR ownership the locomotive lost its name and became No. 32646, serving until 1963 at which point it was sold for £750 to the Sadler Railcar company of Droxford.
0.00

BR, B1 Class, 4-6-0, 61032 'Stembok' - Era 4

The LNER 4-6-0 Class B was Edward Thompson's standardised, two cylinder, mixed traffic answer to the GWR's Hall Class and the LMS Stanier Black Five, designed at a time of even greater austerity for the company. With Nigel Gresley's sudden death on April 5, 1941, Thompson was promoted to post of Chief Mechanical Engineer and immediately set about standardising locomotive design, a programme that has divided opinion amongst enthusiasts ever since. The Class B design satisfied the LNER's (and the nation's) wartime requirement for a cheap, easy to maintain locomotive and by the time that the first locomotive, 8301 Springbok, entered service, the class had been re-designated as B1. Intended to replace all of the LNER's 4-6-0s (excluding those replaced by the Pacific Class), all of the heavy 4-4-0s, the D11s, the D49s, the passenger Atlantics, the K2s, the K3s, the J6s, the J39s and other high speed 0-6-0s, the result was that most of these replacements were achieved, testament to Thompson's standardisation process. The B1 was to become his most successful design, with 410 being built under LNER and British Rail. Existing patterns, jigs and tools were used in the construction of the B1, as well as the Diagram 100A boiler from the B17, with minor adjustments to the grate area and boiler pressure, being used. With the addition of the K2 Class cylinders and the V2's coupled wheels, the result was a powerful engine with great starting power and good hill climbing characteristics, making it ideal for use right across the LNER's network. Built by the LNER's Darlington Works under Works No.2012, Stembok entered service on August 7, 1947 as LNER No.1032 and was initially allocated to Stockton Shed. During a scheduled Works visit on December 15, 1949 Stembok was renumbered under British Railways as No.61052, but stayed at Stockton until 1959, when the locomotive was transferred to 51L Thornaby Shed. Allocations to 51A Darlington and 50B Hull Dairycoates followed, from where 61052 Stembok was withdrawn on November 27, 1966.
0.00

BR, Thompson Class A2/2, 4-6-2, 60501 'Cock O' the North' - Era 4

60501 Cock o' the North spent eighty-three days in Doncaster Works between 24 June and 14 September 1944 being rebuilt to Class A2/2 and received the Diagram 118 boiler during a general overhaul at Doncaster between 17 September and 24 October 1952. 60501 Cock o' the North was allocated to 50A York (North) at this time, mainly working fast goods and slow passenger turns. But there were occasional appearances on southbound York passenger diagrams working to Kings Cross, odd appearances on the Great Central line and the occasional diagram between Leeds and York with Neville Hill crews.
0.00

BR, Thompson Class A2/2, 4-6-2, 60502 'Earl Marischal' - Era 5

Upon becoming Chief Mechanical Engineer of the LNER, Thompson sought to create an unstreamlined, mixed traffic version of Gresley's A4 Pacific locomotives. Being unable to secure permission to construct new locomotives, Thompson decided to rebuild the 2-8-2 P2 Class locomotives as the new A2/2 Class. Thompson advocated divided drive, a system in which the middle cylinder drove the forward two of the six driving wheels, whilst the outside cylinders drove the middle two. Due to his quest for standardisation, this arrangement necessitated the middle cylinder to be placed further forward than normal and the outside cylinders further back, behind the leading bogie, so that standard connecting rods could be used for all cylinders. Although the new designs retained much of the P2's power despite their lighter weight, wheel slip issues made them unsuitable for the routes the P2s had been designed for. P2 No. 2002 'Earl Marischal' was rebuilt to become a A2/2 in June 1944, before being renumbered 502 in 1946 and 60502 upon the nationalisation of the railways. After becoming a A2/2, 'Earl Marischal' returned to Scotland before being moved south of the border to the York Shed at the end of 1949. The locomotive was withdrawn for service in 1961.
0.00

BR, Thompson Class A2/2, 4-6-2, 60505 'Thane of Fife' - Era 5

60505 Thane of Fife spent eighty-five days in Doncaster Works being rebuilt as a Class A2/2, the heavy overhaul taking place between 26 October 1942 and 18 January 1943 and the Diagram 118 boiler was fitted during a general overhaul at Doncaster between 29 January and 7 March 1952. 60505 Thane of Fife was allocated to Peterborough's New England shed at this time, home to the 'Lodge Link' crews and as a result, Thane of Fife tended to work longer distance freight and passenger diagrams to Newcastle, as well as working turns to York and Kings Cross.
0.00